Investing in the Future of S.T.E.M.
UNCF S.T.E.M. SCHOLARS
The UNCF STEM Scholars Program is a ten-year initiative designed to identify and provide scholarship and academic support for a total of 500 talented African American high school students who aspire to earn STEM degrees and to pursue careers in STEM fields.
The program will enable these highly capable young people to pursue undergraduate STEM majors at historically black colleges and universities, private colleges, state universities and technical colleges and universities, from matriculation through graduation, and to prepare them for successful careers in a variety of STEM professions. The program will begin accepting applications in fall 2015 from first-time freshmen who will begin college in fall 2016.
- Tiered tuition scholarships up to $25,000:
- $2,500 per academic year for freshmen and sophomores, $5,000 for juniors and seniors, and an additional $5,000 for students whose academic programs require a fifth year
- Scholarships are renewable for five undergraduate years, contingent upon:
- Maintenance of a 2.5 (out of 4.0) grade-point average
- Continued full-time enrollment to degree in an eligible STEM major
- ￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼A $5,000 stipend based on a STEM-related project/internship of the student’s interest
- Academic support and mentoring
- Access to online academic support service and resource platform and other
- STEM-discipline support services
- Participation in:
- K-12 STEM Summer Institute (pre-college)
- UNCF Student Tech Empowerment Workshop
- Career-development support:
- Mentoring, training and education
- Access to entrepreneurial training in launching new tech ventures through competitive Venture Accelerator program
- ￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼High school/pre-college STEM summer leadership institute